New Album By The Prog Collective

So many new prog albums! A great source for seeing what's coming up is ProgRadio's 'New Albums' page, which you can find here:

https://www.progradio.com/newalbums

According to this, thirty-three albums categorised by ProgRadio as prog were released in March 2024. To stay on top of all this I'd have to review more than one album per day! So I have to choose, and my choices are necessarily sometimes a little arbitrary.

The Prog Collective, however, is not an arbitrary choice. It is, according to its own website, the world's finest prog rock supergroup. I'm not sure I agree with that, but it's most definitely worth having a listen.

So let's find our bearings. What kind of prog territory are we in? First thing to note is that there is no song longer than 5:09 on the album, so there's no epics. First track 'Darkest Hour' is entirely instrumental and while it sounds menacing and interesting, it doesn't really have any development or structure which makes me think of prog. The second track 'Ominous Signs' is the same - it's a single idea played out without variation in tempo or dynamics. I'm starting to get the flavour of this album.

For me, the lack of singing is a major problem, because without a lyrical focus, I'm not really sure where these snippets are going. The music itself is good, it's beautifully played and produced, but prog (for me) is more than just a bunch of good bits. A great piece of music is about repetition and variation, themes that weave in and out. My model for the greatest prog song ever written is One For The Vine, the Tony Banks classic on Wind And Wuthering (as if I have to explain) because it is constantly changing yet forms one overall consistent structure - a whole world in a song, if you will. Gustav Mahler talked about symphonies being worlds, and it's something I think should apply to prog.

I've hit track 4, 'Dark Days', by this point, and we have vocals! We even have Patrick Moraz playing keyboards. But again, it feels more rock than prog rock to me.

I don't like these blogs getting too long, so I'm not going to do a track by track analysis of the whole album. Instead, I'll summarise. To me, this sounds like some great individual tracks that someone could have taken and formed prog rock songs from. It's like the raw material of prog rather than the finished article. Like a film soundtrack. If you just like the sound of prog and don't pay too much attention to its structure, if you don't particularly care for a prog epic, and if you don't bother too much about vocals, this is an excellent album worthy of your time. But if you're looking for something a bit more classically prog, then I think you might be disappointed.

Reasons to listen:

  • You like to hear some great musicians playing some great music
Reasons not to listen:
  • You like your prog a bit more, well, prog
Interesting fact of the day: Nick D'Virgilio doesn't play on this album. To my knowledge. He probably makes an uncredited cameo somewhere.

By the way you can find a playlist on Amazon Music for Progressive Rock Focus here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Album Stories From Time And Space By Hawkwind

Bigger On The Inside By Rachel Flowers

King Crimson Discipline